sábado, 15 de marzo de 2014

My Top 10 Songs

It’s hard to choose only 10 songs, but here is my Top 10 list. Some of them are old songs, some are new. They all have provided inspiration, happiness, advice or relief, haha. No matter how long it has been since the first time I listened to them, they still make me smile and feel good. I think they will always do that.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros  - Home. First time I listened to it was on my Eurotrip, a few weeks after I met you. I was in Warsaw, met a polish girl and stayed at her apartment. She "made" me listen to the song. The outcome was we didn’t stop listening to it while I was there. The lyrics are just perfect. Happiness turned into music. Especially for those who travel.


Gorillaz – On Melancholy Hill. This one makes me smile every time I listen to it. Love everything about it, even the video clip haha. All the lines in the lyrics are good, but those at 2:13 are the best; “If you can’t get what you want, then you can with me”.


Explosions in the Sky - Your hand in mine. This one is from my favorite football movie (Friday Night Lights). I always think about it as perfection needs no lyrics, the title says it all. So few things as meaningful as when someone holds your hand supporting you (could be anyone, teammates, friends, a girl, etc.) Of course when I watched the movie, it made me thought about those days when I was on the field.

Long version

Short version (with scenes from the movie)


Bloc Party – This Modern Love. I think I love this one because it fits perfectly with the way I am, kind of “absent minded” (daydreaming too much, probably). The last two minutes are amazing, can’t stop dancing while listening to it and the way it close, I have no words for it just “Do you wanna come over and kill some time?... Throw your arms around me?” that simple, haha.

The National – Without Permission. So hard to choose only one. A couple years ago, I would have chosen Slow Show (Awesome song). Makes me think about some of the “goodbyes” recently made: “all I'm asking for is come back for just one day… and make it worth the while just to see your smile”.



Thrice – Trust. I can’t deny my past as a punk teenager. In fact, I still enjoy punk. It’s been a while since the first time I listen to this song (I was 19). But it totally was involved to define the way I see human relationships: “I know there’s no such thing as safety... But I know what a promise can do!”



Jimmy Eat World – A Praise Chorus. A little more punk. This song it’s about waking up in life or something like that, I guess. Its lyrics are very honest: “Things are never going to be the way you want… Where's it gonna get you acting serious?”. Makes me think I can’t stay still, opportunities to be happier, better, etc. are everywhere.


Smashing Pumpkins – Thirty Three. I totally love this band. It was hard to choose just one song. But this one is so special. Reminds me of the first time I went away on a long trip and makes me think on the way I evolve every time I face new things.



Bruce Springsteen – Secret Garden. A very romantic song. For me, It’s about how to get into a girl’s heart. I love the sax on the final part. 


Wilco – Jesus, etc. Don’t be scared, it’s not a religious song haha. Just a lovely song, perfect to go driving anywhere on a sunny afternoon. “You were right about the stars… Each one is a burning song.”


The Capsules – Across the sky. I love the vocals, the beat, the lyrics especially when they sing “I know you’ll always find me”. They’re not very famous though. 


Special mention to: Apparat – Song of Los, Jumbo - Siento que..., The XX – VCR, MGMT – Kids, Crystal Castles – Vanished, Arcade Fire – Sprawl II, Phantogram - Futuristic Casket, Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen, God is an Astronaut - First Day of Sun, Foals - Spanish Sahara, The Naked and Famous - Young Blood, Julieta Venegas - El Presente, Beach House - Lazuli, Death Cab for Cutie – Lightness, Bon Iver – Holocene, Metric – Help I’m alive, Moby – Everloving, Of Monster and Men – Lakehouse, Josh Ritter – Monster Ballads, Lou Reed – Perfect Day, Mick Jagger - Visions of Paradise, Lana del Rey - Video Games, Regina Spektor - Us, The Kooks - Sway, Ataris - In this Diary, Taking Back Sunday - You're so last summer…. And many more, but it was a top 10 haha. Enjoy the music!

4 comentarios:

  1. Hola, hace tiempo no me pasaba por aqui, ya medio abandone estos lares, ahora tengo un nuevo colectivo, por si te interesa echarle el ojo, somos puras mujeres echando desmadre un poquito guarro.

    http://francotiradoras.tumblr.com/

    saludos

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Diabla! Apenas veo tu mensaje (Yo tampoco ando mucho por acá). Vi cuando anunciaste que ya no escribirías más, te leeré en este nuevo lugar :)

    ResponderEliminar